SMP Art and Science: Understanding Scalp Micropigmentation
The Importance of Specialised Ink and Proper Aftercare in Scalp Micropigmentation (SMP)
Scalp Micropigmentation (SMP) has revolutionised the hair loss industry, providing individuals with a non-invasive solution to regain their confidence. As SMP gains popularity, it is crucial to understand that the quality of SMP inks used during the procedure and proper aftercare directly impacts the final results and long-term satisfaction.
In this blog article, we will explore what SMP is, delving into its growing popularity as an innovative and sought-after non-invasive treatment for hair loss.
We will also explore the importance of the SMP artist using specific SMP inks during the procedure, as well as the essential steps of SMP aftercare. We will also discuss other factors which are crucial to receiving a high-quality SMP result, such as choosing a reputable SMP clinic with experienced artists.
What is Scalp Micropigmentation (SMP)?
SMP is an innovative hair loss solution that involves tattooing fine dots all over the scalp with a microneedle to create the illusion of a buzzcut on a bald head, or a denser hairline for those experiencing hair loss or thinning hair. SMP is a non-invasive hair loss treatment in comparison to surgical options such as hair transplants, and with the right maintenance and aftercare, can serve as a long-lasting hair loss solution.
What are SMP inks and how are they different from regular tattoo ink?
SMP inks are essential in attaining both authentic and realistic outcomes, as they cater to individual skin tones and hair colours. To achieve a natural and lasting effect, it is crucial to use a high quality SMP ink that closely matches the client's natural hair appearance, considering their unique complexion and hair shade.
SMP inks come in a range of shades which are designed to replicate natural human hair tones, catering to brunette, auburn and black hair shades. In comparison, traditional tattoo ink is usually black, or more vibrant colours are also available.
By using high-quality SMP inks, you ensure that the pigments match your client’s natural hair colour, remain stable over time, and resist fading or discolouration.
Fade Resistance: SMP inks are formulated to be highly resistant to fading over time. They are intended to maintain their colour and appearance for an extended period, even when exposed to sunlight and environmental factors. Traditional tattoo inks may fade more quickly on the scalp due to differences in composition.
The importance of experienced SMP artists and reputable clinics
Just as you would when researching where to get a traditional tattoo, the same goes for when you are looking for a trustworthy SMP artist. If you have decided on SMP as your preferred hair loss treatment - you should always do your research when it comes to selecting a reputable clinic for your treatment, so the final result aligns with your expectations. It is a good idea to consider these following factors:
- Client testimonials - Read reviews and testimonials from previous clients to gauge the clinic's reputation and customer satisfaction.
- Before and after photos - Look at before and after photos of previous clients to assess the quality of their work and ensure it aligns with your expectations. Most reputable SMP clinics have these readily available on their website.
- Safety and hygiene standards - Ensure that the clinic maintains high standards of cleanliness and follows proper sterilisation protocols to minimise the risk of infections.
- Certifications and credentials - Check if the clinic and its technicians are certified and qualified to perform scalp micropigmentation procedures. Research the SMP artists to learn more about their backgrounds, experience in performing SMP and their credentials.
- Consultation process - A reputable clinic should offer a thorough consultation where they discuss your specific needs, address concerns, and provide personalised recommendations.
- Personalised approach - Look for clinics that offer personalised treatment plans tailored to your individual scalp and hair characteristics.
- Cost transparency - Request a detailed breakdown of the procedure's cost and any additional fees to avoid unexpected expenses. A trustworthy clinic will be upfront about their costs.
- Aftercare and support - A reputable clinic will offer maintenance services and support to ensure proper healing and maintenance of the scalp micropigmentation.
The importance of proper aftercare for SMP
Just like a traditional tattoo, scalp micropigmentation will have a healing period after the procedure is complete. Here are a few essential things to keep in mind to keep your scalp healthy and protect your SMP treatment:
Step-by-step SMP aftercare guidelines
- Cleansing and moisturising: Properly cleanse and moisturise your scalp using gentle, high-quality skin care products. This step is crucial for maintaining the colour vibrancy and promoting a healthy scalp. Opt for products which are suitable for your skin type.
- Sun protection: Shield your scalp from harmful UV rays by wearing a hat or using sunscreen (avoid spray sunscreen, and use a cream or lotion which can be applied topically for more thorough protection). This step is crucial as UV exposure can cause SMP pigment fading or discolouration.
- Avoiding excessive moisture: Refrain from excessive sweating, swimming, or exposing your scalp to water during the initial healing period. Excessive moisture can disrupt the healing process and affect the stability of SMP inks.
- Gentle hair care: Treat your scalp with care when washing your hair. Use mild shampoos and conditioners that are free from harsh chemicals and sulfates, as these can irritate the scalp and affect the longevity of your SMP.
- Protecting the scalp: Resist the temptation to scratch, pick, or rub the treated area. These actions can lead to irritation, infection, and even pigment displacement. Be mindful of your scalp's health and follow the aftercare instructions provided by your SMP professional.
- Maintenance treatments: If required, schedule touch-up sessions with your SMP artist to maintain the desired look and address any areas that may require additional pigment. As your level of hair loss changes over time, you may require touch-ups in certain areas.
Browse our range of SMP equipment online
Tattoo artists, including SMP Artists can rely on our range of high quality tattooing equipment, including tattoo machines and tattoo cartridges and needles to deliver professional and precise results for their clients. You can shop our range of tattoo equipment and products via our website now.
The Foli Sim Team
We are very grateful to the assistance from Foli Sim for the preparation of this blog. They are a customer and helpful team to us for advice and feedback. No payment or explicit benefit was made for this blog preparation or publishing and we are hope it provided everyone with useful insight into the world of SMP.
Here is a brief on the Foli Sim team, their services and expertise. With three clinics in Perth, Sydney and Melbourne, Foli Sim provides SMP services in a warm and customer-centric environment to deliver you personalised, natural SMP results.
You can find more information about Foli Sim at their website https://www.folisim.com.au/